Ready and eager to assist you.
In support of Population Council researchers and their collaborators, Barbara’s role on research papers included content and copy editing manuscripts, creating and linking EndNote references in preferred journal style, submitting to journals, editing and resubmitting revisions, responding to journal queries, and handling page proofs. For papers that acknowledged NIH funding as of 2008, she ensured compliance with the NIH Public Access Policy and uploaded accepted manuscripts to PubMed Central.
1. Bongaarts, John, Barbara S. Mensch, and Ann K. Blanc. 2017. “Trends in the age at reproductive transitions in the developing world: The role of education.” Population Studies. 71(2): 139-154. doi:10.1080/00324728.2017.1291986.
2. Psaki, Srephanie R., Barbara S. Mensch, and Erica Soler-Hampejsek. 2017. “Associations between violence in school and at home and education outcomes in rural Malawi: A longitudinal analysis.” Comparative Education Review. 61, (2): 354-390. doi:10.1086/691117.
3. Digitale, Jean, Stephanie R. Psaki, Erica Soler-Hampejsek, and Barbara S. Mensch. 2017. “Correlates of contraceptive use and health facility choice among young women in Malawi.” Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science. 669(1): 93-124.
4. Hewett, Paul C., Mutinta Nalubamba, Fiammetta Bozzani, Jean Digitale, Lung Vu, Eileen Yam, and Mary Nambao. 2016. “Randomized evaluation and cost-effectiveness of HIV and sexual and reproductive health service referral and linkage models in Zambia.” BMC Public Health. 16:785. doi:10.1186/s12889-016-3450-x.
5. Nsobya, Sam L., Paul C. Hewett, Sam Kalibala, and Barbara S. Mensch. 2016. “Performance of Kalon herpes simplex virus 2 assay using dried blood spots among young women in Uganda.” African Journal of Laboratory Medicine. 5(1): 429. doi:10.4102/ajlm.v5i1.429.
6. Mensch, Barbara S., Elizabeth Brown, Karen Liu, Jeanne Marrazzo, Zvavahera Mike Chirenje, Kailazarid Gomez, Jeanna Piper, Karen Patterson, Ariane van der Straten. 2016. “Reporting of adherence in the VOICE trial: Did disclosure of product nonuse increase at the termination visit?” AIDS and Behavior. 20(11):2654-2661. doi:10.1007/s10461-016-1312-2.
7. Mensch, Barbara S., Pamina Gorbach, Cliff Kelly, Photini Kiepiela, Kailazarid Gomez, Gita Ramjee, Shayhana Ganesh, Neetha Morar, Lydia Soto-Torres, and Urvi M. Parikh on behalf of the MTN 009 Protocol Team. 2015. “Characteristics associated with HIV drug resistance among women screening for an HIV prevention trial in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.” AIDS and Behavior. 19(11): 2076-2086. doi: 10.1007/s10461-015-1056-4.
8. Mensch, Barbara S., Erica Soler-Hampejsek, Christine A. Kelly, Paul C. Hewett, and Monica J. Grant. 2014. “Challenges in measuring the sequencing of life events among adolescents in Malawi: A cautionary note.” Demography. 51(1): 277-285. doi: 10.1007/s13524-013-0269-2.
9. Soler-Hampejsek, Erica, Monica J. Grant, Barbara S. Mensch, Paul C. Hewett, and Johanna Rankin. 2013. “The effect of school status and academic skills on the reporting of premarital sexual behavior: Evidence from a longitudinal study in rural Malawi.” Journal of Adolescent Health. 53(2):228-234. PMC3752995.
10. Mensch, Barbara S., Barbara A. Friedland, Sharon A. Abbott, Lauren L. Katzen, Waimar Tun, Christine A. Kelly, Avina Sarna, Aylur K. Srikrishnan, and Suniti Solomon. 2013. “Characteristics of female sex workers in southern India willing and unwilling to participate in a placebo gel trial.” AIDS and Behavior. 17(2):585-597. doi:10.1007/s10461-012-0259-1.
11. Gorbach, Pamina, Barbara S. Mensch, Marla Husnik, Astou Coly, Benoit Mâsse, Bonus Makanani, Chiwawa Nkhoma, Lameck Chinula, Tchangani Tembo, Stan Mierzwa, Kimberly Reynolds, Stacey Hurst, and Anne Coletti. 2013. “Effect of computer-assisted interviewing on self-reported sexual behavior data in a microbicide clinical trial.” AIDS and Behavior. 17(2):790-800. PMC3550005.
12. Mensch, Barbara S., Ariane van der Straten, and Lauren L. Katzen. 2012. “Acceptability in microbicide and PrEP Trials: Current status and a reconceptualization.” Current Opinion in HIV and AIDS. 7(6):534541. PMC4026162.
13. Hewett, Paul C., Tim Hallett, Barbara S. Mensch, Geoffrey Garnett, Kumbutso Dzekedzeke, and Petra Todd. 2012. “Sex with stitches, the resumption of sexual activity during the post-circumcision healing period.” AIDS 26(6): 749-756. doi:10.1097/QAD.0b013e32835097ff.
14. Hewett, Paul C., Nicole Haberland, Lou Apicella, and Barbara S. Mensch. 2012. “The (mis)reporting of male circumcision status among men and women in Zambia and Swaziland: A randomized evaluation of interview methods.” PLoS ONE 7(5): e36251.
15. Katzen, Lauren, Jose Fernandez-Romero, Avina Sarna, Kailapuri G. Murugavel, Daniel Gawarecki, Thomas M. Zydowsky, and Barbara S. Mensch. 2011. “Validation of a dye stain assay for vaginally inserted hydroxyethylcellulose-filled microbicide applicators.” Sexually Transmitted Diseases 38(11): 1050-1055. PMC3210506.
16. Mensch, Barbara S., Paul C. Hewett, Sharon Abbott, Johanna Rankin, Sarah Littlefield, Khatija Ahmed, Nazira Cassim, Smruti Patel, Gita Ramjee, Thesla Palanee, Stan Mierzwa, and Stephanie Skoler-Karpoff. 2011. “Assessing the reporting of adherence and sexual activity in a simulated microbicide trial in South Africa: An interview mode experiment using a placebo gel.” AIDS and Behavior 15(2): 407-421.
17. Lloyd, Cynthia B., and Paul C. Hewett. 2009. “Educational inequalities in the midst of persistent poverty: Diversity across Africa in educational outcomes,” Journal of International Development 21(8): 1137-1151.
18. Mensch Barbara S., Paul C. Hewett, Heidi E. Jones, Carla Gianni Luppi, Sheri A. Lippman, Adriana A. Pinho, and Juan Diaz. 2008. “Consistency in women’s reports of sensitive behavior in an interview mode experiment, São Paulo, Brazil.” International Family Planning Perspectives 34(4): 169-176. PMC2723120.
19. Mensch, Barbara S. Paul C. Hewett, Richard Gregory, and Stephane Helleringer. 2008. “Sexual behavior and STI/HIV status among adolescents in rural Malawi: An evaluation of the effect of interview mode on reporting.” Studies in Family Planning 39(4): 321-334. PMC2670342.
20. Hewett, Paul C., Barbara S. Mensch, Manoel C.S. de A. Ribeiro, Heidi Jones, Sheri Lippman, Mark R. Montgomery, and Janneke van de Wijgert. 2008. “Using sexually transmitted infection biomarkers to validate reporting of sexual behavior within a randomized, experimental evaluation of interviewing methods.” American Journal of Epidemiology 168(2): 202-211.
21. Lloyd, Cynthia B. and Barbara S. Mensch. 2008. “Marriage and childbirth as factors in dropping out from school: An analysis of DHS data from sub-Saharan Africa.” Population Studies 62(1): 1–13.
1. Austrian, Karen, Paul C. Hewett, Erica Soler-Hampejsek, Fiammetta Bozzani, Jere R. Behrman, and Jean Digitale. 2016. Adolescent Girls Empowerment Programme: Research and Evaluation Mid-Term Technical Report. Lusaka, Zambia: Population Council.
2. Hewett, Paul C., Mutinta Nalubamba, Fiammetta Bozzanni, Mardieh Dennis, Jean Digitale, Lung Vu, Eileen Yam, and Mary Nambao. 2015. REacH: Randomized Evaluation of HIV/FP Service Models Final Study Report. New York: Population Council.
3. Sathar, Zeba, Cynthia B. Lloyd, Minhaj ul Haque, Mumraiz Khan, and Monica J. Grant. 2006. Fewer and Better-Educated Children: Expanded Choices in Schooling and Fertility in Rural Pakistan. Islamabad: Population Council.